Seriously, is this not one of the most beautiful pictures you’ve ever seen?
What I love most about food is the actual preperation and cooking of it, but photographing gorgeous meals comes in at a close second. This polenta sandwich recipe I dreamt up is not only absolutely delicious, but completely appealing to the eye is well. It tends to get quite messy after the first bite, but pre-consumption it’s a thing of beauty!
1 roll organic polenta, sliced 1 inch thick into 8 rounds (I get the Trader Joe’s version-only 2 bucks!)
1 eggplant, sliced into 8 rounds
1 1/2 cups ricotta
1 egg white
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup fresh arugula
1 1/2 cups of our Meatless Italian Sauce, reheated or freshly made
Olive oil for frying
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a frying pan over medium heat, cook sliced polenta in olive oil until golden brown, approxiamtely 5 minutes one ach side
- Meanwhile, combine wheat flour and breadcrumbs toegther in a bowl. Dredge eggplant slices through beaten egg and then through flour and breadcrumb mixture until completely covered
- In another frying pan, heat more olive oil on medium heat and cook eggplant slices until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side
- When both eggplant and polenta are finished, set aside on a plat to cool slightly
- Next, mix ricotta, egg white, salt and pepper together and blend well. Add arugula after mixture is creamy.
- Assemble sandwich by starting with the polent, adding the ricotta mix, then a layer of sauce and topping it off with an eggplant slice