Doesn’t need to much explaining- a colorful, tasty dish perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration!
2/3 cup pearled barley
3 cups water
2 tbsp butter
2 bunches green onions, chopped
1 ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 cups frozen organic corn
2 cups frozen organic peas
1 cup black beans, cooked
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 ½ cups almond milk
2 cups Mexican blend of Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 cups blue corn tortilla chips, crushed
2 cayenne pepper, minced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add the barley and simmer for 40 minutes.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook olive oil and cayenne pepper for 3 minutes. Then add beans, barley, tomatoes, corn, green onions and peas and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring every minute. Remove from heat when done and season with salt and pepper.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and whisk in flour when melted, for 1 minute
- Then add 1 cup of almond milk and whish briskly for one minute. Add the other cup and whisk again for another minute. Pour in remaining ½ cup and whisk again.
- Add the cheese and whisk again on medium/high heat for 1 minute, then remove from heat
- In a 13 X 9 baking pan or casserole dish pour bean, barley and vegetable mixture in, then pour the milk and cheese mix over it
- Bake in the oven, covered in foil, for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, remove foil, sprinkle with tortilla chips and cook for an additional 15 minutes