I’d be quick to argue with someone who claims to be a beet hater.
Most people I know are repulsed by them, but I have to admit that they are one of the most beautiful and yummiest veggies around. They’re more versatile then they seem and it makes me sad that they’re highly underrated.
The downside? They stain the crap out of everything. Just shredding one or two has completely destroyed multiple bamboo cutting boards and my hands are still a vibrant shade of pink even though we made this recipe a few days ago.
I closely followed a recipe published by “Veganomicon” and was UNpleasantly surprised when these came out pretty mushy. Might have been my fault, so I advise you to make this pancakes VERY small, so that they cook completely through. They have the most UNBELIEVABLE taste, but they’re not half as good if the consistency of the batter isn’t right
2 cup shredded beets
1 1/2 cups shredded sweet potato
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil for frying
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
- Mix all shredded vegetables together
- Add flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper and garlic and mix again
- Stir in water until everything is absorbed
- In a frying pan over medium.high heat, heat olive oil for 3 minutes or until it begins to bubble
- Add mixture about 1/4-1/3 cup at a time and press into a pancake shape in the oil
- Cook for about 4 minutes on each side and serve immediately
*NOT AS GOOD REHEATED