I get bored easily.
Cooking with the same ingredients over and over again really irritates me, and I haven’t had much time to experiment outside my comfort zone recently. But this week, I decided the only way to create new dishes would be to make sure to BUY new ingredients. I added a few different items to my shopping cart that included things like mustard greens, fiddlehead ferns and for this recipe, sunchokes. I don’t see them often so when they had organic chokes at Whole Foods I snatched them up. They look like smaller, bumpy potatoes and have a similar, yet nuttier taste and texture to them. They roast up exactly the same and they paired nicely with the roasted broccoli and cashews.
1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
6 sunchokes, sliced into rounds
2 1/2 cups sweet brown rice, cooked
1 cup raw cashews, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
Juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On a baking sheet, cook broccoli, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp sea salt and black pepper and drizzle with 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, toss cashews with lemon juice and zest and paprika
- Remove broccoli from oven and bring heat to 425 degrees
- Toss sunchokes with 3 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 tbsp oil and salt
- Lay on a baking sheet and roast at 425 degrees for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven, and toss with broccoli, cashews and rice. Serve!