I won’t lie and tell you these are the healthiest dish for you. They’re vaguely greasy, extremely rich…and insanely delicious.
Just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean you have to eat like a health freak. Being plant-based is generally going to mean you automatically rank among the cleanest eaters on the planet, so having something fried, isn’t the end of the world.
These little fritters are definitely worth the indulgence. (Adapted from Julie’s Kitchenette)
1 cup cooked chickpeas, mashed a little
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup chopped spinach
1/2 cup chopped scallions
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cayenne pepper, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Stir together chickpea flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in water.
- Let stand for 1 hour before continuing
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except oil and stir until well mixed
- Pour oil into a frying pan over medium high heat
- Before oil begins to bubble, drop 1/4 cup of batter into the pan
- Turn heat down to medium and cook fritters about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisy