Oh, basil..you grow too fast!
I’m a fan of pesto, but I don’t love it enough to keep making it in huge batches. It continues to pour out of our garden though, so I figure I’ll make the most of it while it’s readily available, and more importantly, free!
This dish is obviously one for John, since we all know I can’t stand mushrooms. But, I have to admit I was sneaking bites and eating portions that weren’t covered in mushrooms and it was ridiculous creamy and delicious. This is eespecially perfect for these humid summer days when it’s too hot to even turn on the oven.
2 zucchini, spiralized
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup green onions, chopped
BASIL WALNUT PESTO CREAM SAUCE
2 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup cashews, soaked 3 hours
1 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
- In a food processor, pulse walnuts, basil and garlic until blended
- Slowly, pour in olive oil and continue pulsing
- After the cashews have soaked, blend cashews, water, salt and pepper together until creamy
- Add pesto and blend a few more times until well mixed
- Toss together pasta ingredients with pesto sauce and serve
*Letting the pasta marinate in the sauce for a few hours in the fridge makes it tastes better and locks in the flavor!