Gravy. Yet another dish I HATED even during my pre-vegetarian life.
It always smelled funny and looked like dirty water to me. I skipped over any gravy at the Thanksgiving table and just didn’t want any brown mess tampering with my delicious potatoes.
That being said, I had read some recipes for chickpea gravy that sounded scrumptious. I was also prepping to make some smashed potatoes (stay tuned for that recipe) and figured this might be the prime time to give vegan gravy a go.
And I’m SO thrilled that I did. The aroma, creamy consistency and savory spices made for a melt-watering sauce. It was actually really easy to make and barley to 15 minutes to whip together. A must try!
4 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup cooked chickpeas
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a frying pan over medium heat, cook olive oil and garlic for 2 minutes
- Add chickpea flour, salt, paprika, dry mustard and black pepper and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring
- Add chickpeas and 1 cup veggie broth and continue stirring over medium heat for 3 minutes
- Add another cup veggie broth and cook for 3 more minutes
- Repeat until broth is gone
- Once gravy is absorbed and creamy, pour into blender and pulse until chickpeas are blended