I’m at a loss for apple recipes.
I can’t seem to come up with anything creative for the 12 lbs. of apples I picked up last weekend. So apple crisp seems like the only logical thing to make with all this fruit.
The walnuts give the topping of the crumble an extra crunch, that I absolutely loved. I may or may not have eaten all the topping off of most the dish when it came out of the oven. OK, OK I did. It was me. I couldn’t help it!
And if you live in the Boston area, you MUST eat this apple crisp with FoMu’s Apple Cider Donut vegan ice cream. It is easily one of the greatest things I have ever eaten. Not exaggerating!
7 or 8 apples, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup organic brown sugar
1/3 cup organic raw sugar
1/2 cup organic orange juice
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup organic rolled oats
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1 cup organic brown sugar
1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup olive or coconut oil
3 tbsp almond milk
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dissolve arrowroot powder in orange juice
- Toss together apples, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- Pour into casserole dish and pour orange juice over it
- For the topping, mix together oats, flour, sugar, walnuts and cinnamon
- Add in oil, almond milk and vanilla and then mix together until it forms a crumbly consistency
- Pour crumbles ontop of apple slices
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes