You think you eat healthy enough. Maintaining a good intake of fruits and vegetables may SEEM like you’re doing everything right when it comes to your diet. But even a heaping of roasted, sautéed or steamed veggies and cooked fruits deplete major portions of the nutrients and vitamins that occur naturally in produce when it’s raw. A process occurs in your body when you consume cooked vegs and fruits, called digestive leukocytosis, in which your organs actually recognize the unnaturally cooked food and treat it as an invader, using up unnecessary energy and negatively affecting your body. So if you’re doing any of the following to produce…
- Microwaving (which is harmful on MANY other levels as well)
…you’re adversely robbing yourself of some of the benefits of food that would be perfectly wholesome, if eaten raw.
But there are some little known superfoods out there which pack a lot more vitamins and nutrients than your average produce and since they come raw, usually in the form of dried, powdered or tablet, your body is able to easily absorb all of them! Most are also delicious with smoothies and can be bought through food stores, my choice being Raw Food World. Here’s a list of some of the top picks for amazing superfoods…
Maca: A rare Incan superfood, which contains high doses of amino acids, vitamins B, C and E, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, zinc, calcium and iron appropriately, puts Maca at the top of any superfood list! From a root grown high in the Andes, it also aids relieves countless health symptoms like increasing energy and supporting endocrine health.
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if…you are prone to sleeplessness or fatigue, want to have more energy, increase stamina, libido and sexual health, relieve stress or want to relieve symptoms of PMS or menopause.
Spirulina: This blue-green algae has been proven to prevent and treat cancers within the human body, with its high levels of chlorophyll that stimulate the destruction of growing cancer cells. It also has ounce for ounce, twelve times the digestible protein as beef AND has been known to have potent immune-boosting nutrients within it. Just 10 grams of it more than cover your daily recommended intake of B12 and A vitamins and 83% of iron!
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if…you suffer from Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease OR have suffered nerve damage, are looking to prevent or treat cancer, want to maintain good brain health, have certain allergies, skin diseases or anemia.
Chlorella: This additional algae relates to spirulina, but has incredibly strong potency of its own. Known for highly effective detoxification, it is an excellent way to rid your body of harmful chemicals you may be unknowingly ingesting. It also helps cleanse the liver, boost T-cell activity (to fight bacteria, viruses and cancer), along with tons of other minerals, vitamins and nucleic acids.
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if…you need to reduce your cholesterol levels or blood glucose, are looking to prevent or treat cancer, to aid in digestion, promote muscle strength, balance estrogen or to control inflammation.
Goji: This little berry is teeming with cartenoids, vitamins and essential minerals. The vast amounts of antioxidants help protect us from free radical damage and radiation and are known for promoting superior eye health. It is also critical in boosting your immune system and promoting longevity and vitality. They also contain 18 amino acids making it a complete protein, on top of harboring 21 trace minerals like copper, magnesium, calcium, selenium and zinc, to name just a few.
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if…you are prone to eye issues or macular degeneration, looking to decrease inflammation, increase stamina and metabolism, support a healthy pregnancy, minimize risk of heart disease or maintain healthy hair and skin.
Cacao: Quite possibly the best tasting superfood out there, solely based on the fact that it is the purest form of chocolate. It has MORE antioxidant flavanoids than blueberries, red wine or green tea! It is also made up of large doses of magnesium, protein and zinc, while helping increase levels or serotonin, endorphins and other natural mood-boosters.
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if….you are looking to treat depression or maintain a happier overall mindset, support weight loss, improve focus and concentration or grow stronger nails and hair.
Hemp: This protein is also one of the most sustainable resources we know of. Amino acids, omegas, zinc, magnesium and a super fatty acid GLA is packed inside the hemp seed. It is vital for cellular detoxification, maintaining healthy organ function, reducing inflammation and is also effective in increasing energy
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if…you want to boost metabolic energy, promote healthy skin, hair and nails, you need to rebuild muscle strength, a heightened immune system or for better blood consistency
Chia: It’s not surprising that this superfood used to be more precious than gold in ancient Aztec civilizations. The amount of nutrients in these tiny seeds are unparalleled. It is rich in highly concentrated levels of omega 3 fatty acids, protein, antioxidants and fiber. There are also full of trace minerals, essential vitamins and polyphenols, which aid in proper organ functionality.
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if…you have high blood sugar, are prone to heart disease, want to lose weight, want to cleanse your colon or have digestive issues.
Acai: Avoid the gimmicks and “amazing weight loss miracles” scam companies tote this precious berry as. Pure, organic acai berries are one of the most antioxidant high superfoods and are packed with healthy omega fats, protein, fiber and extreme levels of vitamin A and C. They are rich in flavor and make it extremely tolerable in recipes and smoothies.
- Eat this ESPECIALLY if…you want to boost your libido or energy levels, you want to fight anti-aging, want to combat digestive issues, you want better cardiovascular heath or want to stabilize blood sugars and reduce cholesterol level